FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:22 pm
Jet Ranger

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Has anyone flown to LHR or NRT under these new policies in J? Is the meal quality and size akin to the pre-COVID J offering, just on one tray? Is the roll fresh or packaged? How about warm nuts, pre-dinner drinks, snack bar, etc?

I understand that none of these elements should matter to anyone who needs to fly internationally at the moment, but I want to know what to expect should they still be in place after it becomes safe to travel again.
I know this question was posted a little while ago, and saw no one had replied, so I just thought I would add my experience to it if it helps anyone.

2 weeks ago I flew MIA - LHR in Flagship First.
Only 2 of us in the cabin of 8. Very empty plane in general - maybe 50 odd at boarding gate, I reckon - there were lots of Filipino crew heading home I guess via LHR from cruise ships.

We were served a PDB of fizzy wine.
After take off we had our beverage of choice from the bar, served in plastic cups. Nuts in a single serve sachet. I had a G&T - the FA brought me 2 additional miniatures and the can, and said shout me when you want more ice!!

The meal was served as follows.
Single tray with everything wrapped - salad, roll, and the starter, and dessert all in the same tray, with a bottle of water.

After finishing the starter, the main was brought out separately, wrapped again, and the crew (who were absolutely super throughout - husband and wife team looking after first class) apologised profusely for it being wrapped and said this wasn’t their normal service standard in First - we said - please, its totally fine. We are just thankful to be on board and getting something, having heard horror stories about BA’s sandwich and bottle of water in their F.

I asked if they had any wine on board, and the FA brought all bottles to me and asked which i would like which was kind of him. I chose one, and top ups were as frequent as requested.

PJ’s were provided, as were amenity kits.

I didn’t have breakfast as I wanted to sleep through, but about 45 mins before landing the FA brought me a cup of tea, and a glass of OJ.

All in all, it was a great experience, and above and beyond what I was expecting.

I imagine J will be similar - but maybe the whole meal on one tray, rather than what I received - but I’m sure it will be ok.

Hope that helps anyone flying on one of the international long haul AA flights coming up. Cheers, and safe healthy flying everyone.