FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:46 pm
Halo117

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I cant link the article, but FR says if they are legislated to do quarantine/social distance seating, then they will not fly until after those rules go away, the quote was something like: "we cant even cover costs at 66% capacity"
What does that even mean? Did they mean load factors? If so that is a false assertion as load factors have no bearing on profitability. How many times have we heard that mantra on FT. The details might be CASM has skyrocketed due to capacity cuts and mounting fixed costs. Airlines can't have it both ways...get payroll covered through September but capture all expenditures against CASM. Since the capacity cuts fares have risen. UA wants to get lean but can't do it fast enough.

My complaint is touting safety only to cram them in by consolidating flights to high load factors. This will be a problem going forward and no vaccine. Save the lip service and give me my snackbox.