FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:47 pm
ExpatExp

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by DELee
Visitor = people who do not have a Hawaii ID including essential health care workers, essential federal workers, former residents such as mainland college students coming to stay with family, military on temporary assignment, and leisure travelers
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
…finally I saw the useless definition of "visitor". The category is essentially meaningless IMO. It does not mean "visitor" at all. It's everybody without Hawaii ID, even if they are essential workers.
I'm glad others realise this. I have noticed a tendency by politicians and the media to describe the aforementioned "visitor" numbers as if they are all tourists.

Similarly, I'm surprised when I hear politicians mention that "visitor" numbers are too high, based on the current daily "visitor" figures. Total arriving passenger numbers on the first day of the quarantine were down 95% below normal, if I remember correctly, and are now down more than 98% below normal, I believe. A 98% reduction in arriving passengers seems to me to be a sensational success considering that airports are open and flights are available.

Furthermore, considering, for example, that Friday's 98 "visitors" included non-tourists, such as "people who do not have a Hawaii ID including essential health care workers, essential federal workers, former residents such as mainland college students coming to stay with family, [and] military on temporary assignment", it seems to me that actual arriving tourists are likely to be very few and very far between (though, perhaps, disproportionately discussed).

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I'd like to see the number of leisure travelers vs the rest.
Agreed.