FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post COVID-19 -- What long haul competitive moves should UA make?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:45 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Once demand starts to return, I could see the strong sucking the oxygen out of the air to crush the weak
You continue to propose patently illegal things. UA is simply not allowed to sit around and think "gosh, let's crush our competition."

1. EWR-CPT/JNB (hurting SA)
One or the other, possibly. Both, absolutely not. There's just not enough demand.

2. SFO-DEL to 2x/day (hurting AI)
UA is more likely to cancel the one SFO-DEL flight than to run two.

3. EWR-BOM to 2x/day (hurting AI)
Maybe; EWR-BOM has been a lucrative route going back years. I'm not sure there's enough demand to fill two frequencies, but maybe if they're both 789s. Competing against the ME3 will remain a challenge for departures from cities other than New York, though.

4. SFO-HKG to 2x/day already done (hurting SQ and CX)
Already backed off of, likely for at least a year, if not longer. I'd expect ORD-HKG to come back before the second SFO-HKG frequency.

5. LAX-CDG (hurting Norwegian)
Less than zero chance that UA decides to try to build service in a market that is hub-hub for SkyTeam (AF/DL).

6. LAX-HKG (hurting CX)
Possibly even less chance than CDG. LAX-HKG has been a bloodbath for years. Nobody is making any money on it.