FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Business Pledged Gentler Capitalism. It’s Not Happening in a Pandemic.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:44 pm
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It isn't like Marriott wrote a press release - someone wrote a news article - which in my opinion wasn't very realistic as we don't know really know what will happen with executive compensation in the future.

I think Marriott employees are more worried about their individual futures than CEO compensation
But that's exactly how these things get out to employees, so I'm not sure why that matters. I understand your point about executive compensation being fluid...although I think it's unlikely the board would rescind the raise. In any case, why not hold off on it though?

I have some personal experience here. A company I used to work for went through a period where, while making a profit, margins weren't making analysts happy. The CEO announced massive cost-cutting, layoffs, etc. And then, while we were in the middle of this, the CEO got a big raise. There were a whole lot of people who just began working to order, meaning they did the minimum required to keep their jobs.

And I agree with you that employees have bigger concerns. Hopefully employment is a short term concern as things return to normal. But then they'll remember this.