FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Business Pledged Gentler Capitalism. It’s Not Happening in a Pandemic.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:35 am
Dublin_rfk

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by JBord
I do think it's a real issue, beyond what individual customers think. I'm the most pro-capitalism, pro-free market person I know. I wonder how shareholders (I'm not one) view the CEO getting a raise+bonus while the stock has dropped nearly 50% and the company's future is uncertain. And again, the effect this has on the morale of employees. When a "For Profit company" is not making a profit, should executives be rewarded?

As others have said, if the company never recovers, maybe he doesn't collect on the compensation promises. I have no doubt Marriott will remain in business, but they may be slightly smaller. Right now, a raise announcement seems like poor timing for a number of reasons.

To me, many of the adjectives people use here (disgusting, reprehensible, etc.) don't apply. I think it's just bad business.
My apologies my post wasn't directed at you specifically. I am a MAR shareholder and UAL too as well several more stocks and two different retirement programs. My method of evaluation is based on longer term information. I make my investments (time, money, associations) where possible for the long haul. I've been a MR member since the mid 90's and I haven't been thrilled with many of the recent changes but I'm still here, the same with UAL. My instinct tells me that this is a (good sized) bump in the road and that in less time than most people think this will be behind us. As for business practices I believe that Marriott will make the best decisions possible in the constantly changing landscape. With intervention by the government at every level (Local, County, State, Federal) changing daily and affecting all levels of operations. At this minute an elected local government official is blathering on about how fluid the situation is and that he will extend his travel restrictions for another 30 days! How can an International company plan and work efficiently when one little politician can cause a large disruption?
As for the nyt hit piece, bad timing? Using an agreement made last August to bash companies for actions made today doesn't sound like reporting and calling it analysis does't make it either.