FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bringing Japan wife to Schengen
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:43 am
Marambio

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by sodaisei

Yes, thank you, we have a marriage licence book which is OK for the Spanish authorities. My problem was that wife still doesn’t have the valid residence card (although I have a temporary document and a residence registration document) and Tokyo BA staff might not understand this... also I was a little bit anxious that in case our LHR - VLC leg got suddenly canceled they won’t allow us to go landslide and spend one night in a hotel there in case we had to wait for the next available flight.

I’ve been checking and apparently BA is flying Madrid a lot more than VLC so in case I have a problem with that this also could work for me.
If you two are married, I think there is no need to worry about the residence permit. Just bring your marriage certificate/booklet with you and show at check-in if requested. Family members of EU citizens are allowed into Schengen, and even if your wife enters as a tourist, she could apply for a residence permit as the spouse of a European citizen minutes after landing and they would grant it immediately. Maybe allow some extra time for checking-in in case it takes a while for the agent to figure this out.