FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation: What will happen to AA fares once it’s safe to travel ?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:38 pm
Herb687
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by tomj888
There is always a dark side to these pandemics. I want to create a poll. Assumption: It is safe to travel. AA will start charging:
A. Fares like they used to
B. Fares above what they used to. (Gotta make money as fast as possible)
C. Fares less than they used to.
D. Follow the other legacy airlines.

I'd love to know what you all think.
I think most people on FT are profoundly unqualified to answer this and the response of the average FTer, or even the aggregated responses of all of 'em, will have ZERO impact on what AA actually does.

Furthermore, your caveat to "B" not only reveals bias in the question but also a lack of understanding about airline industry economics. Or perhaps economics in general.

If by "make money as fast as possible" you really mean "pricing for cash flow", that means LOWER prices, not higher ones.

Edited to add: also on "D" note that it's not just legacy airlines that AA matches. Sometimes.

Last edited by Herb687; Apr 14, 2020 at 12:42 pm Reason: not just legacy airlines