FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated)
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:36 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Was it really necessary for AA to apply this only for awards booked after June 1? I have an award booked in Dec that is for a flight in Oct and at this point I'd like to just cancel it but it's outside the waiver so it'd be $150 to redeposit.

I wonder if a rep would waive the redeposit fee in light of the new policy if I called and asked for an exception? Don't want to hold up the phone lines for such a distant flight though.
Heres what I’d do: With all the flight changes etc. going on, wait for a flight to change by 241 or more minutes or in another major way and cancel free due to involuntary changes. In the interim, I’d call after June 1 so TAs are trained on the new policy, and see if careful wording will have someone cancel the award and Redeposit your miles because it’s more than 60 days out. Technically, the latter isn’t part of the new policy, but you might slip between the cracks. Finally, other things could happen where you might be covered by new travel alerts.