FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Feasibility of Renaming China Airlines to Taiwan Airlines?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:29 pm
username
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
It should have happened 30 years ago... I don't know a single person here in Taiwan my age that even considers themselves to be "Chinese".
Right, those went to school after the DPP changed the textbooks in the early 2000s no longer think the setup as "one split country - Mainland and Taiwan".

I am curious about this line of thinking. I think there is the language ambiguity since "China" can mean PRC the country or Chinese the culture/ethnicity. In Taiwan, I don't hear people making the distinction when a lot of overseas and non-Taiwanese Chinese communities (e.g. SE Asia) use the more neutral term for the culture/ethnicity (i.e. 華人 vs. 中國人).

If you don't identify culturally as Chinese, how do you explain the customs, religion, language, etc. in Taiwan?

Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
If China Airlines has brand value, this wouldn't even be a conversation. I don't think it would lose any traffic rights, otherwise Chinese airlines would be equally cut from Taiwan.
I don't think it is fair to say CI has no brand value. This move is purely political.

Do we really want to risk going back to the old days when people had to fly through HKG and MFM between Taiwan and Mainland? A 90 minute TSA-SHA trip turns into a whole day activity again?

Would CI/BR want to risk losing all the Mainland routes and give the business to other carriers?