FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:38 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLrunner
I have a trip to India booked in August for my family of 4. Since I booked the ticket in January, the fares have dropped ~$2000 for the same flights. Do I have any option to get a refund of the difference, or to cancel and rebook at the lower rate?
For most tickets booked prior to March 2, you can elect to pay the change fee and rebook to the lower fare. If your tickets are non-refundable, the difference would be returned as an Electronic Travel Credit good for two years. Note that non-refundable fares booked today are being written with a provision where United would keep the difference if the fare were to drop yet again. (FYI: for non-refundable fares, expect to be asked to pay the change fee in new money -- they generally won't subtract it from the amount to be refunded. So, if the change fee is $300 per person, you'd pay $1200 and get a travel credit for $2000.

Some agents may be willing to offer to do this for a $50 administrative fee, instead of the entire change fee, but I believe that policy is only supposed to be good for 30 days after the original ticketing, so it may not apply.