FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:19 am
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
41. In 1985, this U.S. based airline was offering a discounted service at "bargain rates in Coach" linking four cities in the east as well as Chicago with four cities on the west coast. The flights operated at night and a connection was required at a city located between the eastern U.S. and the west coast. Snacks and beverages were offered on these flights but one had to pay for them. And in addition, checked baggage was not allowed which meant all passengers were limited with regard to carry-on luggage. Identify the air carrier that offered these flights, the name it used to market the service and the airport where all of the connections were made.
Originally Posted by Herb687
This has to be Eastern's "hub" at MCI. I believe these EA flights were branded as Moonlight Special.
Originally Posted by jlemon
41. Eastern with its "Moonlight Special" service is correct....but surprisingly, the connecting airport involved in this low fare effort by EA wasn't Kansas City (MCI).
41- um, isn't this sort of a "gimme"? see highlight in original q

in Jan 86 I flew LAX-ORD on an Eastern A300 for something like $49 ... as I was boarding (carrying a pilot's black bag adorned with with a bunch of Boeing Flight Test stickers and a name tag saying "Flight Crew Member"), one of the pilots was standing by the forward galley and asked if I worked for Boeing Flight Test; I said I had for a few years, he asked if I knew his former Navy squadron mate, I said yes, we even played recreational soccer together in Seattle ... we kept chatting by the flight deck door until the FA started to get antsy about final cabin prep ... there were maybe 50 pax on board, no more than four or five in F; I sat down in 3A and she never batted an eye