FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Massive schedule change going out as we speak...
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:59 pm
xliioper
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
Here's what I see tonight searching from the Alaska site - looks like Alaska, Hawaiian and Delta have all joined forces. Kind of a funny dynamic with Southwest always being such an isolated entity. I wonder if they'll jump "in bed" with other carriers at some point?
No, they are just interline tickets where AS is combining AS and HA / DL fares on a single ticket. They were doing this before Covid stuff began (I could often find interline combinations of AS and DL fares to various Michigan cities when searching on Alaska website). When AS and DL split up, they decided to keep their interline agreement intact which allows them to sell combined AS and DL fares on one ticket. DL gets a cut based on whatever DL fare AS has incorporated into the ticket. DL has a limited interline agreement with AA which is only for IRROP situations. They can't presently sell tickets which combines fares from each carrier like AS and DL can. As mentioned above, WN doesn't interline with anyone and thus can't combine other carriers' fares with theirs on a single ticket.

Here's an example of AS combining AS and DL fares (an R fare from AS and a K fare from DL) for SEA-TVC. Connecting in DTW is less than ideal as AS and DL are in separate terminals and you have exit security and take a shuttle to get to the DL terminal. Note that DL restricts which fares can be combined on an interline ticket. In this case, only K or higher fares can be combined as lower fare classes on this route (LUTXV) do not allow interline combinations with other carriers. This is a combination of AS RH2OAVMN fare ($128 base) and DL KAVOA0MQ fare ($144 base). The addition of TSA tax ($5.60) and PFC charges (2 x $4.50) results in $286.60 total.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 5, 2020 at 9:22 pm