FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19 cancellation policy
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:43 am
mikesaidyes

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by siw
Do you know how I can go about getting a refund? This might seem like a stupid question, but I am asking for the following reasons:
  • I had a Lufthansa intra-europe ticket booked last year. That was supposed to depart yesterday but I found out about 2 weeks ago that it was cancelled. Since then I completed the LH refund but got a change of resveration email instead. Cannot get through on any phone line to speak to LH. Have requested an AMEX UK dispute/chargeback. Still waiting for it.
  • I have a KLM long haul ticket booked just after Christmas. This is supposed to depart this coming weekend but KLM have cancelled the intra-Europe flights. KLM refuse to issue refunds, only vouchers. I raised an AMEX UK dispute/chargeback. Then KLM rebooked me on flights, so technically I can fly as far as KLM are concerned. However, government restriction do not allow me to enter the destination country. I cancelled the dispute as I will loose since KLM will say I am on their flights.
  • I have a few Thai Air Asia domestic tickets booked last year. They do not have a customer service anymore and can only contact via an online chatbot. Impossible to get a refund. Can only get restricted vouchers.
My KE ticket is by far the most expensive of my tickets. My previous interaction with KE has found them to be the most inflexible airline. So fully expect them to do nothing as my ticket is non-refundable and I cannot see anything about vocuhers - which I do not want. Just because the destination country has banned incoming non-citizens I assume KE will not say that is a reason for them to refund me. As far as KE are concerned, just like KL above, I can fly to the destination country and sit in the airport until the return flight, a week or so later. KE will say I can just go through the flight transfer channel and stay airside and that they have fulfilled their side on the contract (i.e. I paid money and KE transported me).
You're overthinking this. They will allow you to refund. You have a restriction that is affecting your flight. That's it. It's very simple. Korean Air doesn't give vouchers. It's either refund or change the date.

You can only refund it through the channel which you booked it.

As a reference:

I am an American living in Korea. The US has no ban on Korea yet. There is no "self quarantine or anything like that in America as of now. In Korea, they require all incoming residents to quarantine at home. Technically, this means I am allowed in both countries. HOWEVER they gave me a full refund. You are absolutely 100% banned from entering the Philippines, of course they'll give you a refund.