FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting answer I get from hotel managers when I call about the rates now
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:01 pm
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by BSpeaker
Electricity rates don't go down, neither do water rates. Housekeeping is still not paid enough, so you are asking for them to take a cut for you. Security probably needs to be increased rather than decreased. Which service would you be willing to eliminate so you can get an extra couple of dollars off a room rate? Hotels are businesses that still have to pay all their bills and taxes, and a 2% occupancy rate is horrifying, especially if it lasts. I would think, if anything, after this is all over, a hotel might have a "One Week Welcome Back" deal that will get their regulars to stay at their property again. Other than that, as a business person, IMHO, your assumption/request is a bit over the top.
Rates don't go down, but consumption presumably does. I wonder what a hotel might save by mostly dropping the lights on disused floors and moving the heat/A/C settings closer to the regional ambient temperature, for example?