FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:13 pm
diamantaire

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Amex Travel called me back and said that they would process a refund. They said that Qatar were waiving cancelltion fees. After I pointed out that the fees only applied if I were the one who initiated a voluntary cancelation, they still insisted that Qatar were doing me a favour and that I was supposed to pay the fee but I would not because of the generous policy of the airline. This came from a supervisor. I now question the competence of these travel agencies if they think that fare rules apply even when the airline cancels the flight. Still no confirmation about the refund but I hope it will go through.

Same here. I called AmEx (the credit card arm) to initiate a charge back and was told that they would always trust their travel department and would not go ahead with the chargeback. Surprisingly, a different agent did initiate a chargeback and I can even see a conditional credit on my account, but it is bizarre. The credit card arm should be ringfenced from the travel department. Otherwise it means that the travel department can do whatever they want with no responsibility.
You beat me to my reply.
Glad to hear you got it sorted.