FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:57 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
//Hatred? What kind of dirt are you trying to sling at me?

Any HK resident who’s not presently here and trying to return. Since we already disallowed all the visitors and transits too.

//As well, some sort of pre-boarding medical screening is necessary to reduce if not eliminate travellers who aren't in perfect health.

Which departure airport isn’t doing that?

//Bear in mind that if you are onboard with someone who turns out to be infected, you will never hear from the Government, you will never hear from the airline. You'll just have to check that list linked above from time to time. Then start worrying. (The exception may be if your seat was in reach of the infected person.)

I think the presumption is air passengers are exposed - either in the air or on the ground wherever they’re from.

The arrival numbers are coming down, from 12k/day 18/3 to 4k/day yesterday and today https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/message_from_us/stat3.html

The trade off in staying abroad is whether your insurance will run out Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

//Finally, you're expressing all this concern about letting those Hong Kong people in EUR/UK/US fly unfettered right back to Hong Kong. Yet where was that same concern when it came to those Hong Kong people in Hubei, who languished there for weeks and weeks, in much riskier conditions generally than those in the West.

Thats why I eventually concluded we have to let them back too. Once Govt in its usual efficiency has figured out how.

HKers in the rest of PRC has unfettered right of return provided they can present themselves at the border, subject to 14 day home quarantine.

I would make a distinction - cities and provinces in the PRC with outbreaks have the right and duty to impose exit controls until such time they can control and departures of non-residents and conduct them in a safe manner. Remember that means setting up exit controls too since Hubeiers were able to drive out up to the date of the lockdown. I’m not sure Peru/Bolivia/Argentina/Morocco/Serbia are there yet, but since all foreigners are subject to exit control I see little point in limiting them from going.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 26, 2020 at 7:32 am