FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF Never Offers FlyingBlue Upgrades With Miles in Advance
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:19 pm
dbernard2000

Programs: Delta Platinum
AF Never Offers FlyingBlue Upgrades With Miles in Advance

I've been a loyal AF flyer for a while now, mainly crediting my points to Delta (where I now hold Diamond Medallion status). However I do have the AF credit card, as well as I often answer surveys in my spare time for a collection of miles there as well. I have found it nearly impossible to use DL miles to upgrade AF (even though it's possible) so I figured at least with FlyingBlue I could have a better chance. Here we are a long time later and I have only had 1 flight ever be available for upgrade, out of many annually.

Now my main route is between JFK and CDG, which is obviously their most profitable route, and usually it does fly a full J cabin, however many times they will also offer these upgrades at check-in (which I've taken advantage of), so not always are they all paid J seats. I get it in the revenue sense to be tight with the availability. But seriously? NEVER available?

This is for travel in mid-May 2020 (Yes, we are monitoring the COVID situation, but at this time I will not make any decisions until the end of April, a lot can happen in a month)

Even during this COVID crisis where the demand has dropped completely... VS opened my return space right away, but AF is still keeping it closed to mileage upgrades. I get it they want to make the most money, but as a loyalist I find it increasingly hard to be loyal to AF given that I can never use the miles to upgrade. They want more revenue, but they are risking losing loyal flyers in the process...

Does anyone have any experience upgrading the NY route? Best times to try? Etc.
I know AF is notorious for being tough on upgrades, but how can I make my chances better?

Thanks!