FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:43 pm
ZenFlyer

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Transit passengers

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
How are they going to enforce this for transit passengers? Specifically, international/Guam-to-domestic passengers who are dumped landside to re-clear TSA.
I have the same question. I have read all of the official government documents I can locate online (proclamations, orders) and consulted various state agency websites, but I do not see any explanation of whether the "self quarantine" requirement is intended to apply to transit passengers. Does anyone know, or can you point me to a source? My best guess is that transit passengers might be screened for illness, but assuming they are not sick would be allowed to proceed directly to their next flight -- because forcing those individuals to instead leave the airport and remain in Hawaii for 14 days (or less) would seem to directly contradict the intent of the governor's stated desire to discourage visitors.

That said, the March 21st proclamation states that "all persons entering the State of Hawai'i" shall be subject to mandatory self-quarantine. And the Department of Health website states variously that mandatory self-quarantine applies to "individuals, both residents and visitors arriving or returning to Hawai'i," "all arrivals at state airports" from the continental U.S. and abroad, and "all visitors and residents arriving through Hawai'i's airports."

Grateful for any information or insight . . .