FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:19 am
FlyingSloth

Originally Posted by jib71
This is a thread for "Coronavirus impact in Japan" - i.e. the general situation, so you might want to ask a moderator to move your question to its own thread.

Piecing together the facts of your situation is rather difficult for me (I haven't see the other thread you refer to), but here are a couple of thoughts that might help:
From your post, I surmise that you're currently staying in Singapore and you hold a US passport. Japan's 14 day self-quarantine currently applies to people who have been in 38 countries (including Schengen zone, Iran, and Egypt). AFAIK, Singapore is not on the list. You mentioned upthread that your ticket is for early April. The rules might change by then.

Given the rapidly changing situation, I wish the following article were a bit more recent (it's from March 6th), but I think the current thinking is probably the same:
https://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/p...602000268.html
<< People who are far away from home or foreigners visiting Japan will be asked to stay at hotels and other hotels where they have made reservations. It was not a measure of the quarantine law but a "request only" and was not enforced. Accommodation and transportation costs may be borne by you. >>
<< According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, there will be no follow-up on arrival. Avoid public transportation to your home or hotel and ask for your own car. If you do not know where you will be staying, you will be introduced to the facilities designated by the quarantine station >>

I believe that the "facilities designated by the quarantine station" are likely to be airport hotels around your arrival airport. Since costs are borne by the traveller, my recommendation would be to check current prices on Rakuten travel or your preferred website. My suggestion would be to identify airport hotels that have 14 days availability - and make a booking for one night (or a refundable booking for longer). If the quarantine rules change and it turns out that you are advised to subject yourself to a 14 day self-quarantine, you can tell the agents that you have a reservation at a specific hotel. I think it's likely that they will let you go there. I do not recommend booking a hotel in Tokyo, since people in self-quarantine not permitted to use public transportation. Taxi fare to Tokyo is very costly.

Personally, if I were in the situation that I imagine you're in, I would look at Taiwan rather than Japan as a safe haven to hunker down in for the next few months. Living costs are much cheaper and the Taiwanese authorities appear to have a good grip on the coronavirus situation. Taiwan's East Coast has some very laid back towns where I could happily spend some months.
If you're curious, I think I gave a better summery of my situation in this SIA thread: Searching SQ's site for places/dates not officially cancelled, but no tix available?

I admit that with everything that's happened in the last week, my mind feels a bit "broken" from lack of sleep and therefore, some of the things I've written these forums is maybe not clear. I apologize for that.

I have visited Japan about 12 times over the last 8 years, basically every time I've traveled between N. America and Asia, and I absolutely love Japan. It is my favorite country. I have several good friends there too

Back in February, I had plans to fly to Japan via Taiwan. Then in March Taiwan announced it was banning all foreigners. Now transiting is not even allowed.

I actually bought Skype credit just to call the "hotline number for foreigners" in Japan, so I got an answer to my question. Yes, they told me on the phone that the accommodation could be somewhere of my choosing for 14 days. I was planning to stay with a friend at their house in a small town outside of Kobe, so that could work. Though they do not have a car to pick-up me. On the phone (don't know if this is correct or not), but they said that taxis are considered "public transit." So I am uncertain how I would get from KIX to my friend's home. My friend said don't worry about it and we'll figure it out somehow. The friend things that a taxi would be okay. I'm also not sick.. don't have symptoms.. and I am bringing 100 masks with me that I will wear at all times. So I do not consider myself a risk to anyone. Also, Singapore has a very low rate of COVID-19.

I am concerned about two things. 1) My flight(s) to Japan have all been cancelled. I am losing hope. I keep booking a flight.. and it gets canceled. I am still trying to find a way. 2) What if Japan decides to ban U.S passport holders after I booked the flight but before I take the flight. I hope not, but it could happen. I have not been in the U.S since early 2019. But from what I saw with Japan banning Europeans. The bans seem to be attached to your passport??