FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exchanging ChoicePrivilege Points to United
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:40 am
Dadofsix

Originally Posted by Brent8811
Hello Everyone - I have a question I hope someone can answer..

I've been trying to exchange 5,000 Choice points to my United MileagePlus account. It asks me to link my account with Points.com and after the attempt it then displays the message "That email address has already been used, please visit your Choice Privileges account and update your profile"(see attached photo).

This makes no sense, as my ChoicePrivileges profile is already up to date with my current email address and no changes were ever made to it.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here, or is it a system flaw with CP's site? I've tried emailing them THREE different times with no response.

Thank you in advance and everyone stay healthy

I think I got the same error recently when trying to exchange some points to Southwest and thankfully I was able to resolve it. I believe the issue arose because I had created a Points.com account years ago under my name but with an older email address of mine and that email address didn't match the email currently in my Choice profile. So as a workaround, I temporarily changed my Choice profile to match that older email address and then I was able to get the exchange to go through successfully. Interestingly, my SWA RR account still contained my newer email address but I didn't change that at all and the exchange still went through fine (it took about 24 hours).

My theory is that Points.com must do some kind of validation to see if the email address in the Choice account matches the email address in the Points.com account registered to the same name (even though the Points.com account is really unrelated to the exchange transaction you're attempting to process).

Hope the info above helps.

[I should probably change my Points.com account to update my email address to my newer one but it appears this can't be done online at Points.com. I guess I will have to call or email them to get this updated.]