FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled flight today (24/3) ex-LHR, Emirates not honouring EC261
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:25 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
It would be true if this happened 1 month ago.

EK is actually not on breach because both the U.K. and Malaysia have been significantly impact by COVID-19.
Setting aside the impact of Covid-19 (which is definitely significant, and I'm not disclaiming that fact), my friend is now stranded in the UK, and the regulations state that Emirates should be rebooking individuals onto a flight that would bring them to their final destination airport. I don't think they're suddenly exempt from getting the passenger to their intended final destination just because Emirates themselves are no longer in the air?

Taken from Lexology, where some lawyers have developed a response for airlines re EU261: "It is worth noting that, regardless of whether compensation is payable or not, airlines will still be required to provide passengers with a refund or re-routing, as well as care and assistance, in the event of cancellation."

I hope this does not come across as confrontational, I am just trying my best to get Emirates to honour their duty of care per the regulations - my first time interacting with them here, so not sure what to expect! Can't seem to find anything that would help on the forums either for this scenario.

Thanks again for any assistance that anyone can provide - the last resort would be to seek financial support to purchase another ticket, if need be.