FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled flight today (24/3) ex-LHR, Emirates not honouring EC261
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:58 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Cancelled flight today (24/3) ex-LHR, Emirates not honouring EC261

Hi all, not a frequent lurker in Emirates, appreciate any help you may be able to offer. A friend reached out to me for assistance this morning as EK346 (DXB-KUL) is now cancelled, and as a result, today's EK2 (LHR-DXB) was also cancelled.

Under EU261 and even in Emirates' own guidance here - word for word: "we will re-route you under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity to your final destination airport (or to an another airport serving the same town, city or region, in which event we will provide you with surface transport to your final destination airport or another close by destination agreed between us)"

However, they are not even attempting to rebook the passenger onto similar flights that are scheduled to depart and are still operating. There are two direct flights operated by MH (Malaysia Airlines) and transits by QR (Qatar) and WY (Oman).

Any solution or workaround to this? Thought of HUACA but apparently I reached the Dubai contact center, it seems as if the point of escalation that I reached was the very end of it all, and per the above, Emirates is in direct breach of EU261 regulations for the cancellation of an EU-departing flight.

TL;DR: flight today on EK metal cancelled. EU261 requires airlines to provide the option of rerouting on an alternative carrier to the final destination. Emirates are refusing to comply.

Last edited by zsc; Mar 24, 2020 at 5:37 am Reason: add context