FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:34 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FliGuy
So I'm assuming either the TA is being obstructive and doesn't want to process a refund from BA and refund back the fare (although I cant think why?) or that they are just being lazy / not that good and haven't bothered to check further with BA and just using a blanket statement that its a travel voucher only option.
Having never dealt with a refund from BA via a TA, I would assume the process would be that TA obtain the refund from BA, then the TA refund the customer?
Yes, the TA is watching their cashflow by the looks of it, moreover there are stories of TAs giving their own vouchers to passengers, so they get the cash from the airline, hold it but not in escrow, issue a TA voucher. This is wrong in law and in principle. Politely point out to the TA the EC261 requirement to refund, and if they won't budge I think you then have a chargeback case on your hand. Ultimately you can actually pursue BA via MCOL if it comes to it, but that really would be the last resort.

It's probably no good to point this out, but even before this crisis there has always been a problem with using TAs - they create their own processes between you and the airline. Do not use TAs unless they are highly reputable. If they are cheap, you get what you pay for.