FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Bonvoy, COVID-Cancellation, Negative Points?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:09 pm
chauncey

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Amex Bonvoy, COVID-Cancellation, Negative Points?

I had a prepaid Courtyard booking (made several months ago) for a trip to Portland that was cancelled due to COVID. Marriott was great, and refunded the booking back to my Amex Bonvoy card. It showed up as a credit to this month's statement, which is also great since my next balance due will be less!

But now, when I log into the Amex app, it shows an approximate -4500 Bonvoy point balance since the previous Marriott purchase was essentially refunded... Never been in this situation before. Will Amex remove those points from my Bonvoy account when my next statement posts? Does they do nothing, or do I slowly need to make purchases to "accrue" enough spend to cancel it out? If Amex does "take" the negative point out of my Bonvoy account, what happens if I don't have those points, as I was thinking of making a points redemption reservation for later this year that would drain my current total?

Any one have any similar experience, ever from before our current COVID era? Thanks!