FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:39 pm
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
11. It's still 1966 and you are in Baltimore (BAL). It's time for a vacation and you've decided to visit with friends who live on the north shore of Oahu. So you're off to Honolulu (HNL). Interestingly, the timetable of the airline you'll be flying with out of BAL lists a connection to HNL operated by another air carrier. Your first flight is a milk run which makes five stops en route and your second flight on another airline operates nonstop to HNL. Name both air carriers, all five stops made by the first flight in the order in which they were made, the connecting city and the equipment operated by each airline on these flights.
11- starting with my usual approach ("How do you eat an elephant? Cut it into bite-size pieces.") ...
  • airlines that operated from the west coast to HNL: Northwest (Seattle, Portland), Pan Am (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles), United (San Francisco, Los Angeles)
  • airlines that might have operated a five-stop flight from BAL to the west coast: American, TWA, United
  • of the three, AA didn't have much of a presence at BAL, and UA is the only one that served SEA/PDX; since I can't recall any UA timetables of the mid-60s that showed any flights on other airlines, we're probably looking at a TW/PA connection
  • I believe PA's HNL operations were almost all 707s by this time, so "the equipment operated by each airline" part of the question therefore points to a Convair 880 on the BAL-California portion of the trip
  • so with that, the connection could have been at SFO, and the five stops could have been
  1. Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
  2. Kansas City (MKC)
  3. Albuquerque (ABQ)
  4. Phoenix (PHX)
  5. LAX

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 23, 2020 at 4:12 pm