FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:19 pm
49penguins

If you've got miles at risk you don't want to lose don't cancel in the app, you'll need a phone rep to do the cancel who will waive the re-deposit fee.

Fun times. After they cancelled my non-stop and turned into a one-stop I tried to cancel via twitter for a refund. Twitter team said I had to pay the re-deposit fee no matter what. I tried to cancel myself but it just errored out. I cancelled it today on the app when it said I could cancel for a re-deposit of 12,500 miles and refund on $5.60. No mention of fees at all, no place to even put in for payment. I clicked confirm cancellation- and it cancelled my flight and errored out in processing a refund and said to call. I called and after much waiting I was passed to a supervisor who said I must pay a re-deposit fee. I said it wasn't mentioned anywhere on the cancellation page. She said I "must pay money". I said no, I wouldn't have cancelled if I had to pay money. She said I agreed to cancel and must pay money to get miles back and that I agreed to these terms and conditions when I bought the ticket. Said I could speak to nobody else because she was the supervisor.

DOT follow up complaint filed obviously (I filed a couple days ago when they refused to refund my cancelled flight due to it's unacceptable alternative). It's only 12.5k miles and is not big deal to me and I definitely knew this was a risk when I clicked cancel because United.

Last edited by 49penguins; Mar 22, 2020 at 2:18 pm