FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelled flights booked via OTA
View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:31 am
hoipolloi

Originally Posted by dirtdogs
We're booked on Air New Zealand LAX-LHR-AMS June 15 with return ZRH-LHR-LAX June 30. They were planning to discontinue this fifth freedom flight after October, but now they are suspending flights from March 20 till June 30. I was told by the Air NZ rep that I could get a flight voucher and try to fly between July 1-October. But he admitted it was doubtful that they would resume that route. Meanwhile, in checking my booking on the Air NZ website my booking is still on their site, i.e. they have not officially canceled my flight, even though it is on their website that these flights are suspended till June 30. Additionally, the LHR-AMS flight is by KLM and the ZRH-LHR flight is by BA, though this was all on one ticket, issued by OTAs Travelocity and Expedia (two separate tickets, DH and myself). Travelocity was only willing to offer airline credit, they didn't seem to have official confirmation of the flight cancellation. They sd they'd check and call me back....that was a few days ago :-O.....I do understand that my flight is still a ways away....Expedia is offering airline credit via their online cancellation as well.

My question is, do I have the right to ask for a refund? Per the US DOT (we are in the US) if the flight is cancelled, I am entitled to a full refund including other "purchases" e.g. bag fees, seat selection. (We did pay for Skycouch). I asked the Air NZ rep and he said he was not familiar with the US DOT but that they were *not* issuing refunds, just flight credit, and they might be able to book me on a different carrier. I would like my money back, as well as the seat selection fees. What is my best recourse? Do I have legal rights in this?

Thanks in advance.
get written confirmation that they won't give you a refund, then initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer