FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:21 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by homeone
thanks for confirming! follow on to this. would i have to book similar routing / mileage requirement? i don't believe so right? as long as i use up the 60k miles before a year from booking otherwise i forfeit the remaining miles.
You can book any routing that you want. However, I can't really answer what happens if the new ticket is less expensive (in miles) than the one you're buying now. For cash tickets, UA has instituted a rule where any residual value is ignored, meaning UA keeps it. You should probably check the fare rules of an award ticket to see if they've put the same language in place. If they have, it means that you would get one change, and if your new flight was fewer than 60K miles, you wouldn't have anything left over.

Go to the fare rules on the confirmation page and look for the word "residual." Anything about "refunded" Is good; anything about "ignored" is bad. Leaving it out entirely is good too. I suspect that they might not have bothered changing the rules for award tickets in this way, because they've always been refundable, but it's worth checking.