FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19: Your Options to Refund/Rebook/Cancel
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:02 am
elansear

Hi All. An update from today on the phone to Qatar Air. I had J class booking from Paris to Hanoi for the end of the month return, fair rules when booked stated a fee of EURO 730 per person if cancelled. A few days before the EU closed the border Qatar web stated, Full refund or voucher to a list of countries all others could have a voucher or refund within the rules for the ticket purchased if you wish to cancel. Yesterday that changed to, change your dates or a voucher valid for 12 months but no mention of a refund. I am based in the UK and our government yesterday said do not travel at all. I spent an hour on the phone to Qatar, I was repeatedly told when I asked for a full refund NO you can re book or have a voucher that is your options. I stated that I did not want to be restricted to them for a future trip, and that it may be longer than 12 months before I wanted to travel so asked again for a full refund, answer NO. I then asked for a refund under the rules of my ticket, No you can only re book or have a voucher. During this conversation I got my booking up on line went to the cancel page, guess what I could cancel within the rules and receive a refund of the cost minus two lots of Euro 730. When I challenged the person on the phone with this, he spoke to a supervisor came back and said they would refund me within the rules of my ticket !!! They are clearly having trouble, perhaps trying to hold on to cash if they can at present. My warning to anybody trying for a refund is to state that you want it within the rules you accepted when you booked, that is a binding contract that can only be changed with the consent of both parties. If a voucher is not what you want but some money back go to your online booking and cancel that way, you get an instant email confirming everything, not Qatar trying to keep customers for the future and trying to send them in one direction only. Very very disappointed with there approach to this, shame on them...