FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage expiry during coronavirus
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:27 am
dvs7310

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by aramis78
I'm not in any region where the Amazon offer is available. FlyingBlue announced that no miles will expire this year. How unfriendly of JAL!
Things are still changing rapidly and they may finally agree to a mileage extension... however having lived in Japan for quite a long time now, I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath. They (the country, not only JAL) are very rigid with the rulebook most of the time and in times of crisis is that everyone should suffer together equally. You would be shocked at how many people all over the country cancelled trips in 2011 during Golden Week or even summer holiday for that reason, in solidarity, because people in Tohoku were still suffering from the tsunami in March.

In your case, if you've got enough miles about to fizzle away, it might be worth changing your address to a country with Amazon and cheap international shipping (think US and UK) in order to convert the miles, then at some point in the future change it back... claim a temporary move or something. I'd check first that the vouchers come via email and not snail mail, but usually with Amazon these days, it's done by code online. Doesn't look like region changes can be done online, I looked at my account and it's locked to Japan but does give an option to contact customer service if I "move out of Japan". Thankfully I'm only losing a small amount of miles since they didn't see any use in allowing conversions to select programs starting at 1 mile instead of 5,000. If I still had 5,000 miles I'd be buying domestic tickets instead, lol... it's a ridiculous number to start conversion at (granted, wifi vouchers are 2,000, but I'm well below that now thanks to my last trip and enjoying the much improved Panasonic wifi). I hate to see any balance go to waste, regardless of how small, e-points would be perfect since I do fly JL a lot domestically.