FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Minimum time needed at Chicago (Ord)
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:55 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, Gary82!
Originally Posted by Gary82
Ive just used my 2-1 companion voucher for flights to Chicago (Ord) next year in First. It’s been a good few years since I’ve been America and I’m looking at booking a separate flight onto Memphis. I land at 18:30 on BA297 but I’m unsure how much time I should give myself to get through security at Ord and get bags and recheck back in? Any advice would be great.
I'm about to say the same thing that I see that LondonElite has just posted!

You don't say the exact date that you're travelling, but it looks likely that the last flight from ORD to MEM is a UA at 2105, which would give you 2:35 between flights. For myself, that would be far too tight on separate tickets because you'd have no protection if the inbound BA flight is (say) 90 minutes late (which is relatively trivial) and there is then simply insufficient time to clear immigration, collect your bag, clear customs, go to UA check-in and then check in and drop your bag. BA policy is not to through-check bags, and if that's adhered to you might have to do a full check-in/bag drop from scratch with UA.

There might be a slightly earlier flight on AA, but that would simply makes the whole trip even more problematic. For what it's worth, on the days that I can see that earlier AA flight in the schedules, the connection is too tight to be "legal" even if you were travelling on a single ticket, which you're not.