FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bay Area orders ‘shelter in place,’ only essential businesses in 6 counties to May 31
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:13 am
SamirD

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agencies are vague on enforcement efforts, if any. I will be curious to hear how this will be enforced, if at all, with respect to departures from the three major Bay Area airports (OAK, SFO, SJC). Will passengers be asked to justify their travel, or will it be the honor system?
San Mateo police department isn't vague about this at all: ?Police Department Response to COVID-19? from San Mateo, CA Police Department : Nixle
As for the San Mateo Police Department, education will be our primary goal, leaving enforcement as our last option. We have a tremendous partnership with our San Mateo community and our hope is to collaborate, ensuring compliance through education. As a last resort, officers have the option to issue a misdemeanor citation and/or arrest for non-compliance. Fines range from $50-$1,000 per incident. Regarding police operations, effective today, the San Mateo Police Department will be increasing patrols and the number of officers on the street to help maintain order and public safety for all San Mateans.
Personally, I'm happy to read this as I believe it is the right response at a time like this.

And also if you read the entire real order (not just the fluff media version), it spells everything out quite clearly in terms of travel and what will be open/closed:
https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/fil...r-in-Place.pdf
h. For the purposes of this Order, “Essential Travel” includes travel for any of
the following purposes. Individuals engaged in any Essential Travel must
comply with all Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section.
i. Any travel related to the provision of or access to Essential Activities,
Essential Governmental Functions, Essential Businesses, or Minimum
Basic Operations.
ii. Travel to care for elderly, minors, dependents, persons with
disabilities, or other vulnerable persons.
iii. Travel to or from educational institutions for purposes of receiving
materials for distance learning, for receiving meals, and any other
related services.
iv. Travel to return to a place of residence from outside the jurisdiction.
v. Travel required by law enforcement or court order.
vi. Travel required for non-residents to return to their place of residence
outside the County. Individuals are strongly encouraged to verify
that their transportation out of the County remains available and
functional prior to commencing such travel.
Airlines (and taxis) are considered Essential Businesses under section f.xvii of the SF version of this order (which the San Mateo one is almost identical to).