FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are Airbnb reviews reliable?
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:09 am
lhrsfo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Speaking as a host, I find the review process is a complete scam. I've been hosting a single vacation rental property now for about 5 years. On the whole, guests are delighted. Occasionally there are little niggles and I always am generous with compensation when we can't put it right (one of the two dishwashers broken and waiting for a spare, for example). About once a year I get a renter who basically blackmails me for a good review - give me half my money back or I'll give you a one star review type approach. It's then a question of judgement - do I pay the blackmail and preserve the reviews, or do I just accept the bad review, and leave a reciprocal one for the guest? I've played it both ways, but the deck is stacked in favour of the guest, as they can easily just change email accounts and set up a new profile, something not available to the host.

Also, bear in mind that hosts are penalised by AirBnB if they don't get a very high percentage of 5* reviews, so the pressure is on to pay the blackmail.

Broadly, AirBnB does policies which are designed to further their quasi-monopoly position - they are very unfriendly to hosts and increasingly unfriendly to guests. As a result, I now charge more on AirBnB than I do on better platforms - but amazingly still get more rentals through AirBnB.