FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do Chase and Amex decide if you have the other Marriott card before?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:08 pm
hermitw

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
It is my understanding that there isn't much difference in what a CC sees between a soft or hard credit pull. Yes, one requires your consent, while the other does not, but both give about same information.

When speaking to a Citibank rep about my account (asking for a sweet balance transfer offer to be extended), he asked if I had account numbers handy.. Didn't but he was able to "see" basically all my accounts from last time Citi did a soft pull for my account or something.

So yes, my guess is Amex and other banks/CC companies do have ways of knowing existing and previous CC accounts, well long as they appear on credit report.

Full account name likely isn't needed, there is enough information about issuing bank and so forth on a credit report.

Keep in mind if you have ever had any AMEX account that bank is like elephants; they don't forget a thing. People who have had accounts that were closed ten or twenty years ago make a new applications and are surprised when (if) account is approved the "Member Since" date reflects previous account.
Sorry I did not get your points. I was talking about marriott card specifically, as if you have marriott from amex, and apply for chase, you will be denied a welcome bonus. How does chase know you have marriott at amex?