FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott - Greed, greed, greed [no-show fee imposed after cancellation]
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:32 am
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aberlet
In early December 2019, I booked a 3-night stay at the Westin Snowmass to attend a corporate function the second week of January 2020. I joined a new organization mid-December and therefore cancelled my reservation two weeks prior to my first night’s stay, so I was surprised when I received my credit card statement that I stated a “no show” for the reservation and that I had been charged over $1000 for the entire 3 night stay. So, I telephoned the Westin Snowmass to tell them they had made an error. The representative at the Westin Snowmass confirmed that I had cancelled the reservation 2 weeks prior to my first night’s stay, but that the Hotel policy stated “no penalty” applied only if the guest cancels 30 days in advance instead of the customary 2-3 days. I then asked why I was charged for the full three nights when “no show’s” as they had me listed only get charged for the first night. Again, I was told, this was the Hotel’s policy. At this point I am outraged, and told the representative the injustice I was feeling as a Titanium Platinum Marriott member, as this was peak ski season and I suspect they had no trouble re-selling my room, given I had cancelled two weeks prior and that they were collecting twice for the same room. The representative had no compassion. I have since sent an email to customer service with the same response, “Hotel policy”. As I left my previous organization the burden of this cost has fallen on me personally. I am so outrage at the Marriott greed! In February I was about to sign a contract with another Marriott property for a 40 person 3-day meeting which fell through only because of the Coronavirus outbreak, but in hindsight I’m glad it did as I do not ever want to give Marriott any more business that is in my control. I will certainly tell my story to the executives at my organization and ask that we consider another hotel chain for our business. I am truning to every possible social network outliet to warn travelers of the Marriott greed!
What was the cancellation policy stated on your reservation? For a cancellation, the total amount to be charged is usually specified.r Can you post that? 30 day cancellation policy is not unheard of at properties with high holiday demand. If your reservation has a 30 day cancellation policy, I think you are being disingenuous. If not, and it truly was cancelled outside the latest cancellation date, you should have recourse.

Looking at a 3 day reservation for 3/20 - 3/23 at the same property, a Traditional Guest Room, 1 King is $503 all-in per night.

The cancellation policy states.

Cancelling Your Reservation

You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on February 19, 2020 (30 day[s] {already passed} before arrival.

Please not that we will assess a fee of 1408.88 USD if you must cancel after this deadline...

If your reservation confirmation has similar wording, then why would you be upset when you agreed to the terms? Perhaps you should retract your erroneous posts and turn it into a lesson to make sure you "fully" understand what you are agreeing to. If you don't like the terms, your option is not to book and look elsewhere.

James