FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott - Greed, greed, greed [no-show fee imposed after cancellation]
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:07 am
Aberlet

Marriott - Greed, greed, greed [no-show fee imposed after cancellation]

In early December 2019, I booked a 3-night stay at the Westin Snowmass to attend a corporate function the second week of January 2020. I joined a new organization mid-December and therefore cancelled my reservation two weeks prior to my first night’s stay, so I was surprised when I received my credit card statement that I stated a “no show” for the reservation and that I had been charged over $1000 for the entire 3 night stay. So, I telephoned the Westin Snowmass to tell them they had made an error. The representative at the Westin Snowmass confirmed that I had cancelled the reservation 2 weeks prior to my first night’s stay, but that the Hotel policy stated “no penalty” applied only if the guest cancels 30 days in advance instead of the customary 2-3 days. I then asked why I was charged for the full three nights when “no show’s” as they had me listed only get charged for the first night. Again, I was told, this was the Hotel’s policy. At this point I am outraged, and told the representative the injustice I was feeling as a Titanium Platinum Marriott member, as this was peak ski season and I suspect they had no trouble re-selling my room, given I had cancelled two weeks prior and that they were collecting twice for the same room. The representative had no compassion. I have since sent an email to customer service with the same response, “Hotel policy”. As I left my previous organization the burden of this cost has fallen on me personally. I am so outrage at the Marriott greed! In February I was about to sign a contract with another Marriott property for a 40 person 3-day meeting which fell through only because of the Coronavirus outbreak, but in hindsight I’m glad it did as I do not ever want to give Marriott any more business that is in my control. I will certainly tell my story to the executives at my organization and ask that we consider another hotel chain for our business. I am truning to every possible social network outliet to warn travelers of the Marriott greed!