FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baht Run
Thread: Baht Run
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:25 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by drtravix
The orig. 750-post thread appears to have been removed from FT.
That long thread that I started was not so much 'removed' by FT, but got lost/corrupted in the changeover to the NEW FT a little while back. Same thing happened to a few of the other super long threads.

It was in Miles Buzz.

That thread just referenced about this run now being recognised in the last Guinness Book of Records has a good deal of info in summary, some of which I re-post below.

I am not certain that it still does not work to get 1K cheaply. Are not 100 segments on Star carriers still eligible for 1K?

Originally Posted by ozstamps

For anyone newish to this board, the 'Baht Run' was a loophole (quite legal) that allowed anyone to make UA 1K for under $1000.

Bottom line - internal flights within Thailand (then) cost peanuts each so the 100 TG "segments" needed for 1K were cheaply obtained. Due to short flights and heavy frequency, this could all be done in a small number of days.

Due to a glitch on UA website folks doing this often got TWELVE SWU's after they completed it too. Again, thanks to FT identifying THAT loophole.

There was a 750 post thread on it I started:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/003577.html

Lots of folks on FT became 1K for the first time due to this loophole. A few entire "families" did so in fact. (Coff!) I am sure some of the intrepid 'Baht Runners' will chime in here.

My hats off to all those intrepid flyers who participated in this - one of the great FT adventures, right up there with 'Latin Pass'.

~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from UA 747-400 exit row 15A near you SOON!

Last edited by ozstamps; Sep 15, 2004 at 8:29 pm Reason: HTML coding