FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Status Extensions
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:35 am
drajknox

Originally Posted by rich5011
What is the general opinion regards extending upgrades etc for elites and extending membership as several other airlines have done , its a bit unfair my UG are expring next month and i dont intend to fly right now.
any comments appreciated, i have emailed NZ but it just went into a bucket of a gazillion emails i suspect
I think Mr Foran could engender some real loyalty by extending this to there loyal fliers.
Absolutely agree - the only fair way to do it is to give all Elites the same extension, not on a case by case basis as nearly everybody will have the same travel downtime irrespective of their anniversary date - I’d earned approx half my required SP before even 2 months were elapsed and if a September trip goes ahead would easily requalify but planned travel that would have got me to another banked year has already been affected. My employer has essentially forbidden any overseas business travel and anybody who returns from personal international travel and has to self isolate for 2 weeks is supposed to use Annual Leave so international travel is realistically out for now. Given Air New Zealand’s noncompetitive business class prices if they annoy loyal elites I’m sure many people will go elsewhere - especially those who lose status and benefits. The current unavailability of R class for months on end even to Australia has made me feel that Elite status has recently been devalued and the increases in APD upgrade costs for Asia and the US has further devalued Elite status. Making it clear that the grass is greener elsewhere is usually not a great strategy and given the number of hotel and other loyalty programs which have already recognised and subsequently extended expiration for their elite customers it is clear that Air NZ either doesn’t have insight into likely Elite behaviour or doesn’t truly value its Elite Customers to the extent they say.