FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:20 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
After looking at the trajectories for some European countries on my route and the developments in Italy, earlier today I cancelled a non-essential trip to Europe that I had planned for next week. The J award on Delta (at a great rate) was refunded without redeposit fee.

A few minutes ago, POTUS announced a complete travel ban from Europe (sans UK... ?!) for the next 30 days. There are apparently exceptions for US citizens wanting to come back, but not clear how that would work -- are airlines just flying planes for US citizens? In any case, even if I could have come back, I am actually glad to not be on the road next week.

From NYTimes:

President Trump on Wednesday night announced he was taking “strong but necessary” actions to keep new cases of the coronavirus from entering the United States by suspending all travel from Europe for 30 days, beginning on Friday. The restrictions did not apply to Britain, he said.