FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:16 pm
Assimilated Cajun

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
It may depend on which "side of the house" you're calling. I find that the "real" American Express Platinum Travel agents -- the ones at the number where you have to pay $39 for each booking and each change -- answer the phone quickly and that most are reasonably competent. But I've had terrible experience with customer service agents at the number you have to call to change or cancel bookings made with American Express Travel online. It's much harder to get an agent on the phone, even during non-peak times, and when you finally get to talk to an agent it is often with someone who is inexperienced, not very knowledgeable, and/or not particularly interested in helping. I have a Cathay Pacific booking I made online at Amex and which is now cancellable without penalty according to Cathay's posted advisories. But I have to cancel through the travel agency through which I booked. I've tried calling twice today. First you get a series of recorded menus and announcements that urge you to call back another time because they're very busy, and/or to let them call you back "when it's you're turn, in more than one hour." I opted to remain on hold, and both times I got music -- once for about 15 minutes, once for about 45 -- and then suddenly the music stops, which makes me think I am about to talk to an agent. But instead I hear several minutes of silence, then someone seems to be coming on the line and hanging up the phone manually. (On the first call I heard what sounded like someone's voice for a second or two before I was disconnected. On the second call, just now, I heard what sounded like someone breathing, again only for a second or so, then a click and the call was disconnected.) I really need to cancel this reservation soon while I can still make an alternative reservation at a reasonable price. So I guess I'll call a third time and select the "call back when it's your turn in over an hour" option. But I'm not optimistic.