FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancel or Change fee Question please
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:18 pm
dunno282

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DontBumpMe
Last June, I bought non-refundable flights SFO-YVR for two. The flights are for May 2020. I know if I cancel, I'll have to eat $200 per ticket each for the change fee, and the rest of my paid fare I can use on a different upcoming AA flight. I'm unsure of the correct terminology...does AA hold that money in "an account" for me that I can use on future flights? Do they issue me some kind of gift card for the amount?
Also....apparently because I purchased the original tickets in June of 2019, I have to spend the remainder by June 2020? That parts seems confusing. I'm cancelling a flight in May 2020 and they want me to book a new flight by June 2020 or lose it all? Am I understanding that right?
These are business class seats and we spent about $2,400. I can eat the $400 in change fees, but obviously we want to make the best use of the remaining $2,000.

Any help is appreciated. Fairly new to all of this. Thank you
If I remember correctly, You'll get $2,400 in credit and pay an additional $200 per for change fee. So you would shell out $2,800 in total. Last time this happened to me, I had one year from when I cancelled the flight. Didn't get a gift card. Just a code. This was many years ago though.