FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19 and travel/medical insurance
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:42 am
invisible

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
garykung thanks for replies. Your replies/experiences are based on travel insurance purchased on which market?

Because here in Singapore there is one distinction - almost all travel insurances, except the cheapest ones, cover medical treatment in Singapore if you have to cancel your trip and come back for medical reasons. And As I've heard, in cases like this it is the travel insurance with pays the incurred medical expenses first, before work provided/personal medical expense steps in.

Originally Posted by garykung
Travel insurance covers hospital stay, but not quarantine. To make travel insurance responsible, I would have to say you must convince the insurer that the quarantine is incidental (i.e. not subject to any pre-existing order). And you will need an official order from the Government to show it is really the case.
How about the case what happened with Israel when they applied quarantine retroactively on arrivals from European countries? You arrived 4 days ago, everything was fine, was planning to leave in couple of days, now have to spend 11 days in hotel.
Originally Posted by garykung
Mostly no. The local government is picking up the tap. You may be able to claim partial costs.
Like the above example with Israel. If someone from Holland bought tickets to go to Israel 4 month ago and now is not allowed to enter, travel insurance won't cover this case?

Last edited by invisible; Mar 8, 2020 at 4:48 am