FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:28 pm
RedSun
Suspended

Originally Posted by salfcl
Marriot messed me up big time.

I have a Cat1 to 4 7 nites certificates (expiring in April ) that was attached for a stay at the Four Point in Auckland next week. It was Cat 4 hotel when I booked it and thus was able to use my certificate. Doing that took me a few hours and a few phone calls.

Today, I enquired about the possibility of extending the certificate in the event that I cancel the reservation given the uncertainty of the coronavirus crisis. The associate was very kind, offering to extend my certificate for a year and explicitly told me that my current reservation would still use this certificate. I, off course, was happy.

Lo and behold, I receive an email an hour later saying that my award reservation using the certificate has been cancelled. Called Bonvoy immediately. The associate could not attached the certificate back because that hotel is now a Cat 5. She kept apologizing saying there is nothing she can do about it.

My flights are booked and paid for and now my only choice is to pay for the accommodation.

This is so frustrating and unbelievable. I am not sure if this the fault of the associate who extended my certificate or the system limitations. I am just shocked that booking a reward using the certificate can be so tedious.
This has been discussed so many times. No one can "extend" the TP. The rep just would just cancel or close the current one and re-issue a new TP with expiration one year from the day it was re-issued.

Also, once a TP is attached to a reservation, any change, like the dates or the payment (points or TP) would result a new booking. Clearly, removing the old TP and re-issue a new TP would result in a new booking. All changes like this should have been done before the category changes.

You can try to call and hope the best. But....