FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:44 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I think people have had mixed experiences. Some have had the certificate automatically returned to their account. Some have had it completely disappear on them and then its an uphill battle to even get it back since no one really understands them.

The best course of action if you want to cancel or even to change the dates is to first get the certificate DETACHED from your reservation, refresh the app to check that it is actually back in your account while on the phone and then cancel the reservation. This is what I have done a couple of times when making speculative bookings and its always worked for me.
I have read posts which advocate for both methods, but I do not think it has anything to do with whether or not you detach the cert first. I firmly believe it is all about the competence of the agent. A good agent can make it work either way without any issue (this used to be the norm). These days its a crapshoot as to what sort of agent you get.
I moved a TP cert from one reservation to another in about 10mins last week with no issues. Prior to that I hung up on a couple of agents as they did not fill me with any confidence they knew what they were doing.

I am done with TP now, but my advice would be to HUACA if the agent seems anyway unsure when you start talking TP's. There is just too much risk if you let some well meaning but incompetent agent touch your TP Cert