FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Corona virus and booking upcoming trips in Europe?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:23 pm
KLouis

@Comatose.Captain, @BMWMOT: I am confident and one of the reasons some people are not is that some of us look at a "certain glass" to be half full while others look at it to be half empty. I stress that I do, personally, accept and abide by all recommendations of pertinent authorities, following a very old piece of (Greek) advice: κάλλιο γαϊδουρόδενε παρά γαϊδουρογύρευε or a stitch in time saves nine. But I also do understand what statistics say, I do understand public health realities, and I also remember the time spent (wasted for some) in numerous WHO committees trying to find the correct wording of recommendations. In the present epidemic, I just wonder why people panic to the extent of staying home and not even going out (see photographs from Rome or Milano), while only a month ago when the seasonal flu was killing many more, none of them worried. Perhaps because TV (and nowadays also social media) were not broadcasting much about it. Here are a few numbers just to show what I mean. The year is 2018 (the last one for which complete numbers are publicly available), the country is Germany, and the disease is seasonal influenza. 1121 registered deaths, of which 2.5% were people under the age of 20! By the way, in 2018 there was no flu epidemic in Germany, it was a "normal" year, everybody went to work, schools were not closed, etc.

Bottom line and I won't say more, I promise: I can offer advice, I am not obliging anyone to take it.