View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 20, 1:09 pm
eastbysouthwest

Originally Posted by noah View Post
I've learned, the hard way, that you should always insist on getting a receipt.

Sometimes, you don't have the time and you need to trust the system. When I returned a minivan to the location near the Port Authority in NYC earlier this year it took them 3 days to close out the rental contract and get a receipt. Nobody seemed stoned, just seems to be the system at some locations...
Thanks for the data point. Aspen is a small location so I expected them to act faster, especially after I called multiple times. I only started to worry after my third phone call, when their employee said she had no record of the return.

But yes, the lesson for me is to always get a paper receipt. E-mail receipts are more convenient in theory, but this shows you can't always trust you will get one. And for after hours returns, you may want a photo / video of you dropping the keys in the box. Too paranoid? Perhaps.

As a side note, I wonder if most rental cars have some kind of GPS / tracking device so they can be found if the local office "misplaces" them. I recall Fox Car Rental was fined by California (ten years ago or so) for using GPS data to overcharge renters who drove outside certain states.