FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:26 am
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Visconti
Aside from the measures being taken now, what more would you propose? Some specifics?

PS - I do understand the above quote, rest assured. So, since in my entire life the US Gov't has sucked (ineffective) doesn't necessarily mean they'll continue sucking (general incompetence).
Stop large gatherings

Stop international travel

Mobilize people and money to do testing or increase the number of tests where it shows up - an emegency preparedness team of probably 10s of thousands of people if possible or fewer numbers training local teams more likely would work

Encourage businesses to allow people to work at home if possible and provide support for this

Probably others as well that don't come to me right away. Many years ago I was working in collaboration with scientists at the CDC on a project. They were handling the actual virus. But in talking with them some of them had played significant roles in the smallpox eradication effort. That won't work here for several reasons but some of the general strategy might. When a case was identified, send in lots of support. In that case to vaccinate which can't happen here but they can help with quarantining and monitoring the patients and supporting them during quarantine. Our county is doing a lot of that now but some counties either because they don't have enough infrastructure or they have too many cases will need help. I'm not seeing (maybe it's there but not apparent) a lot of coordination and support between Federal and local agencies yet.

Oh, and having watched a man walk on the moon, AIDS go from a mystery universally deadly plaque to a well understood, usually prevented and successfully treated disease and countless others I would suggest that perhaps a groundless preconception about the government is replacing what happens in many cases. Oh, and the eradication of smallpox.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Mar 5, 2020 at 7:31 am