View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 20, 7:51 pm
eastbysouthwest

Trouble returning car at ASE

Did a one way rental with National, Denver to Aspen. The drive itself was uneventful. Then...

DAY 1, 7pm. I drive into the parking lot at Aspen airport to return the car. Normally you park the car and bring the keys to the office inside the airport, but this time there is someone in the parking lot. She tells me she's with National and asks me for the keys. She says I don't need to stop by the office, she'll take care of everything.

DAY 2, 9am. The National app shows the rental is still open and the car is overdue. I call the local office. Automated system, no option to speak with a local agent; the trick is to select "lost and found." Finally reach a guy in the Aspen office. I explain the problem, he assures me he will take care of it.

DAY 2, 1pm. Rental still open, overdue. I call the main customer service, they say they'll reach out to the location.

DAY 2, 5pm. Rental still open, overdue. Chat with someone on Twitter, they say they'll reach out to the location.

Day 2, 8pm. Rental still open, overdue. I call the local office, talk to a woman who says she has no record of the car being returned. Asks me to describe the agent that took the keys, says no one like that works there. She says she'll investigate and call me back, never does. I start to worry that the person that got the keys was impersonating an agent. It was dark and I was tired. Couldn't happen in Aspen, right?

DAY 3, 10am. Rental still open, overdue. I call the local office, talk to a guy.. I explain the problem, he assures me he will take care of it.

DAY 3, 12noon. Finally the app shows rental closed, car returned on time.

By the way, something similar happened one year ago at this location - but then it only took one call (the following morning) to get the rental closed.

And PSA: ALWAYS get a printed receipt. Duh.

Last edited by dwbf11; Mar 10, 20 at 6:03 am Reason: Edited to keep the post on topic.