FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:15 am
oranjemakker

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
Mind sharing which country and whether they are accepting new residents? I'd like to move there!
Well not sure what country the poster was referring to but in New Zealand, where I live we have a compulsory Govt insurance programme called ACC (Accident Compensation Commission) that provides insurance for accidents (workplace and elsewhere) on a no fault basis. This covers the gamut from workplace injuries, medical misadventure, falls, DIY snafus like falling off ladders, sports injuries and yes dog bites. Not only is the medical cover fully funded to a standard of private care, it covers complementary treatments like physio etc. and if time off work compensation at a high percentage of salary. And because of this there is no ability to file personal injury lawsuits. You can sue for negligence I think but the awards are very small so in most cases no one does (certainly not for something like this). So if this happened in NZ the OP would be covered for all medical treatment, and only other penalties would be i guess if the dog was deemed dangerous by animal control officers etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accide...on_Corporation

(I must say reading this thread with all the exhortations to sue left right centre its quite nice to live in a country where this doesn't happen)